The use of typography in video allows us to reclaim the lost art of arranging typefaces in a way that would make an 18th century typesetter’s head spin.
This type of art is also known as Kinetic typography.
The text is presented in a manner intended to convey or evoke a particular idea or emotion.
In this compilation we showcase 18 creative uses of kinetic typography which include short movies made with After Effects, stop motion animation and other techniques.
If you have an example of kinetic typography that you would like to share with us, please feel free to post a link to it in the comments section.
1. Stop and Think — Talking Head
2. D‑Tronics from Manny Garza
3. Citizen Cope — Let the drummer kick it
4. Graphic Design: The Forgotten Web Standard
5. Rockwell from Jordan Clarke
6. Typography On My Mind from Toke Blicher Møller
7. Habitat for Humanity by Motion Red
8. Stop Motion by Twilight Arts
9. Typography in Motion by I Love Typography
10. Pieces by Sum 41 by CrispyGFX
11. Typographie by Matcho80
12. Zoolander Typography by Linzi Bergmann
13. Women at the Well by Matthew Borrett
14. Requiem for a Dream in Typography
15. The Hush Sound — Lions Roar by Mig Reyes
16. The City is at War by Lincoln Furrow
17. Thank You for Smoking by FrontLine Pictures
18. Typography Project by Stephen Siegel
This post was written and compiled by Steven Snell and WDD. For more inspiration from typography, see Steven’s gallery site TypeInspire.
Which ones are your favorites? Do you know of other great examples of kinetic typography? Share your videos with us!