Why Bootstrap?Bootstrap has a lot of advantages over starting from scratch on your web dev projects. One of the biggest reasons is the vast number of resources available for Bootstrap, especially when compared to a lot of other frameworks and boilerplates (we'll get to those later). But beyond the resources available, there are a lot of other reasons to use Bootstrap:
- It's easy to use: getting started with Bootstrap is a pretty quick and easy process. And it's flexible: you can use it with Less or CSS, and even Sass (if you download the Sass version).
- The grid: Bootstrap uses a 12-column responsive grid. It even supports nested and offset elements. The grid can be kept responsive, or you can easily change it to a fixed layout.
- Faster development: because Bootstrap has so many ready-made components and resources available, it can significantly speed up your development process.
- Base styles: Bootstrap comes with base styles for a ton of HTML elements you're going to be using anyway. It includes styles for typography, forms, images, and much more.
- Pre-styled components: Bootstrap also comes with pre-styled components for dropdowns, nav bars, alerts, and many others.
- Excellent documentation: Bootstrap has exceptional documentation available, which is useful for both beginners and more advanced users.
- Easy integration: Bootstrap can be integrated with a variety of other frameworks and platforms, on both new sites and existing ones. You can even use just specific elements of Bootstrap alongside your existing CSS.
What if I don't want a responsive site?While Bootstrap is responsive and mobile-first right out of the box, it doesn't have to stay that way if you don't want a responsive site. All you need to do to disable it is omit the viewport meta tag in the CSS, override the width on the containers for each grid tier, remove any collapsing and expanding behavior on your navbars, and make some adjustments to the grid layouts if you're using them. You can read the specific instructions in the Getting started documentation.
Some great Bootstrap projectsThere are tons of sites out there already running on Bootstrap. The ones below show just how much diversity is possible with Bootstrap. Lexigrams BabySitMyDog.com EasyGenerator MobStyle The African Equity Fund WebXtrap Paul V High Rollers Fun Casino Vansh Noel Hanna Prusik HIP Advertising Laundry Day Filter Surfboard Manufacturing Academy Streamline Kitchen DSTLD Nas Ferias Vertty Montere Drury Buildings Plaza Classic Film Festival 1Bite2Go Riot Design Codiqa Sean Halpin Simplebots Magently Crafting Type Surreal CMS Nod Markt Startup Turkey Felix Morelo The Happy Startup School Kontest Dutch National Opera & Ballet Dagobert Renouf The Rolling Stones
So, you’ve finished college and are ready to showcase your design skills to the world. This is a pivotal moment that…
Mind-bending videos. Divisive Images. Eye-straining visuals. This list of optical illusions has it all. Join us as we…
By Max Walton
Always trying to walk the tightrope between image quality and file size? Looking to branch out from JPGs and PNGs this…