Amazon’s New Rating System Gets One-Star Reviews

Max Walton.
August 18, 2023

Amazon just changed its rating system, and now every product looks like it has one star. This one could take some getting used to.

Amazon’s New Rating System Gets One-Star Reviews.

We’re all familiar with the Amazon buying process. You visit the website, search for the product you’re interested in, and then immediately check all available listings to find which one has the best reviews. Lower than 4.5 stars? Maybe. Lower than 4 stars? No chance.

Amazon’s rating system was simple but effective—the quickest way to sort the best from the worst, the real from the fake. The stars were arranged neatly in a row, so it was a piece of cake to see precisely how trustworthy a product was at a glance. It couldn’t have been easier.

So, the question remains: Why have they decided to change it?

If you visit Amazon, you’ll be shocked to notice that the site no longer displays five stars in a row on each listing. Instead, each product features a single star alongside a number which shows the average rating.

Why is this such an issue? Well, for those of us that have the old rating system ingrained into our brains, every product now looks like it has a measly one star. I recently disregarded a popular cleaning product as a knockoff until I realized it actually had a 4.8-star rating.

As developers, we know that even the smallest design changes can have significant impacts. For another prime example, look no further than Apple, who recently tried to change the location of the iPhone’s ‘end call’ button in the latest iOS 17 beta. This seemingly inconsequential change was causing users to accidentally Facetime people instead of hanging up the phone. Naturally, the community retaliated. Apple was quick to reverse the change.

To make matters worse (or better, depending on how you look at it), Amazon’s new system was apparently the better of two options. Amazon has also been testing a variation in which each product rating displays the number of five-star reviews as a percentage. That means you’ll simply see that a product has “40% five-star reviews”. Are the other 60% of ratings four-star or one-star? You can see the problem there.

The main selling point of Amazon is its convenience. Users typically don’t head to the site to browse for their weekly shop. The marketplace should be quick to use and easy to read. Any extra seconds I have to spend shamefully purchasing a pair of jeans from Jeff Bezos are extra seconds wasted.


Max Walton

Born in Cardiff Wales, Max relocated to Brisbane when he was 12. He’s spent the last five years developing expertise in the Fintech industry. When he’s not posting about Web3, you’ll find him on a paddleboard.

Read Next

20 Mind-Bending Illusions That Will Make You Question Reality

Mind-bending videos. Divisive Images. Eye-straining visuals. This list of optical illusions has it all. Join us as we…

15 Best New Fonts, February 2024

Welcome to February’s roundup of the best new fonts for designers. This month’s compilation includes some innovative…

The 10 Best WordPress Quiz Plugins in 2024

Whether it’s boosting your organic search visibility or collecting data for targeted email marketing campaigns, a great…

20 Best New Websites, February 2024

It’s almost Valentine’s Day, so this latest collection is a billet-doux celebrating the best of the web this month.

Everything You Need to Know About Image Formats In 2024

Always trying to walk the tightrope between image quality and file size? Looking to branch out from JPGs and PNGs this…

The 10 Best Logos of 2023 - Ranked

From vintage aesthetics to innovative new color schemes, we’ve seen a lot of creative logo designs this year. In this…

Exciting New Tools for Designers, February 2024

2024 is well underway and shaping up to be an interesting year. So, to help you keep your focus on working hard and…

The Art of Engineering AI Prompts

In the rapidly evolving world of artificial intelligence, the ability to communicate effectively with AI tools has…

15 Best New Fonts, January 2024

In this month’s roundup of the best new fonts, we find a large number of vintage, retro, and revival typefaces. Is it…

5 Web Design Disasters That Will Ruin Your 2024

Welcome to 2024, where web design is as fast-paced as ever. You know how crucial a killer website is nowadays — your…

14 Best Free SEO Tools in 2024

There is an ongoing debate about whether design is more art or more science. SEO is 100% alchemy; if you know where to…

3 Essential Design Trends, January 2024

Forget the cold, the web design space is hot with plenty of new trends taking root in 2024. From amazing animations…